I spent three months in the Philippines, and though I tried my best, I simply could not get the basic adobo recipe down! Mine tasted ok ,but it was nothing like Ate Gina’s, or Ate Becky’s. Somehow there was something that I just couldn’t get right. So when I was leaving, Ate Becky passed me a little notebook with a couple recipes in it…including her adobo recipe!
So here it is.
Ate Becky’s Basic Adobo
- 1 kilo meat (pork, beef, chicken)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup vinegar (cider or balsamic)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbs crushed garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp peppercorn (crushed is better)
- Marinate the beef with the rest of the ingredients for at least 30 minutes.
- Bring marinated meat to a boil.
- Simmer until desired doneness or until dry.
- Stir occasionally while simmering.